In the old days of marketing and communications, countless professionals in sports marketing were taught the 4 Ps of marketing, which was Product, Place, Promotion, and Price. Those elements are still relevant today for sports teams and clubs that want to stay ahead of the curve in being better than their competition in promoting their group. Understanding the following essential elements will help you communicate with clarity to your target audience and the broader community for greater marketing success.
So, let’s do the refresher on the 4P’s, and the team at Sneakers4Funds adds one more––people.
Four Ps of Marketing
Let’s begin with the meaning of the four Ps of marketing, and then we’ll lay out the relevant questions that you should be asking as a team leader that will help clarify your message for your group or team.
Product = solution for the need
Place = distribution of your service or product
Promotion = information provided to your audience
Price = value of your solution
We mentioned that we also include people:
People = who do you need to achieve success
Questions for Each P
Now it’s time to get your sports marketing team together and ask the critical questions about each of the Ps for the development of an effective marketing effort. Remember, there are no right answers, but the point is to be genuine so that you can position your sports club or team effectively for your marketing and promotion initiatives.
- How is your team branded? When someone hears your team group name or logo, what are the adjectives that they would use to describe your group?
- How does your sports club differentiate itself from your competitors? What makes your team better than others? In other words, what makes you stand out?
- Why would the general public want to support your organization? What is the impact that you’re making in your community with what you offer?
- How can the public experience your team offerings? Can they see an exhibition if your team is a sports club or otherwise have a chance to experience first-hand what you’re about with what you do?
- Where can the public or people who may want to become members find you? Think about your website, social media and any other way that you promote your organization?
- How do you engage with the community, be it your spectators and also people you may want to join your team or club?
- How do you engage with the broader community who might not want to join your club to demonstrate that you’re a leader in your community and part of it?
- What are all of the places your market and promote your club or group?
- Are you missing any opportunities that you didn’t think of, such as associations or trade groups?
- How often do you market and promote your sports club? Is it consistent and on a weekly basis?
- Do you use multiple channels for communicating with the public and your club members or supporters?
- Do you have targeted campaigns promoting special events, even if you’re not directly sponsoring or participating (e.g., city marathon, holiday season)?
- Do you have an understanding of how and when your competitors market their club or team?
- How do you compare against other competitors regarding the look, feel and placements of your marketing and advertising efforts?
- What are the costs for your products or services?
- What are your operating costs?
- Do you have enough of a profit to reinvest into your club or sports team?
- Do you have any value-add for your supporters or members and, perhaps, the broader community?
- How does your team engage with its members to be of value to them?
- What tools do you provide your supporters to help you spread the word about your group?
- How do you measure the involvement of members or team members in your sports group?
- How do you demonstrate value to your supporters, team members and the broader community?
To properly market your team or group effectively, you have to give it a little thought. By asking the questions mentioned above, you’ll help bring your sports team clarity that will only help you improve your sports marketing efforts to get new supporters and champions.
© 2018 Sneakers4Funds. All Rights Reserved.